The following briefly describes a few touch screen features and explains why they are important:
- Clarity & Brightness. Many touch technologies such as projected capacitive block a significant amount of light from the display, for example 25% or more, therefore significantly reducing the effective brightness of the LCD display. In contrast, Volanti’s touch glass is clear, so approximately 95% of the light gets through.
- 4K vs Full-HD. Higher resolution is critical benefit on larger displays as touch-screen users will be within arms reach of the display, in addition many graphical applications now support 4K resolution.
- 10 point or 40 point touch. This notes how many simultaneous touches the display can detect. It is an important application issue that may be a key part of the functionality of the software application designed for the touch screen.
- Touch resolution. With large touch screen displays the resolution of the touch sensor can be as important as the image resolution. If the touch resolution is low it will decrease touch accuracy.
- Latency / Lag / Touch response. This is an issue most easily seen when drawing a line and is indicated by how far the line follows behind the finger or stylus. Note that the touch screen, the PC and the display can all be factors affecting this.
- Refresh rate. This is how fast the display refreshes, the baseline is 60Hz (60 times per second) though 120Hz is quite common now (Volanti’s 65″ and 84″ touch displays are 120Hz). A faster refresh rate will give more detail to motion on the display and help reduce latency.
- Response time. This is how fast the pixel elements in the LCD display switch on/off (normally measured from gray to gray). Faster is better as it provides crisper images when there is motion on the display, slow response time can result in blurring or smearing of motion.
- HID compatible. This enables plug-and-play compatibility with operating systems like Windows (versions 7, 8 & 10) eliminating the need for special drivers to be installed.
- Ball drop test. This is an indication of the strength of the cover glass, it literally provides a rating for the ability of the glass to withstand a metal ball being dropped on it.
Please contact us for more in depth information about any of the above.